Google Now currently only accepts the phrase “OK Google” for activation. What if you want to change the hotword to something more custom that fits for you? Some users have been able to train their devices to accept other phrases, but there is an easier way.
- Ensure you have the latest version of Google Search installed.
- Download the “Open Mic+ for Google Now” app.
- Open the Google app, then go to “Menu” > “Settings” .
- Select “Voice” > “OK Google hotword detection“, then switch it to “Off“.
- Open the Mic+ for Google Now app.
- Tap the pencil icon in the “Say” area.
- Type the custom hotword you wish to use, then tap “Set“.
You have successfully changed your Google Now hotword. Give it a try.
One thing to note is that there will be a slight delay when you use your hotword. It’s just not as quick as the default setup. The app also drains the battery. It’s something I can live with though since I can now enjoy using my own custom hotword with Google Now.