I was walking along, enjoying a mild February day, when all of a sudden I heard an awful sound. I scrambled to find the source and found that it was coming from my phone. Convinced my phone was malfunctioning, I rushed to pick it up and realized it was only an emergency alert. When did Android devices get this feature? Apparently it’s a feature your wireless provider provides. It will also do the same thing for Amber Alerts or Presidential Alerts.
The Emergency and Amber Alert on the phone is a nice feature, but I don’t want it interrupting me in the middle of the night. I struggled to find the place to turn this feature off. Depending on your device, it can be located in different places.
Here are a few places to check:
- From the Home screen, select “Apps” and open “Settings“.
- Tap “More“.
- Choose “Emergency broadcasts“.
On most devices, you’ll find the Emergency Alert option within the settings for the Messaging app. A strange spot if you asked me.
- Open “Messaging“.
- From the main screen where all your message threads are listed, press “Menu” and select “Settings“.
- Select “Emergency Alerts“.
- Uncheck the alerts you don’t want to hear.You can disable “Extreme alerts“, “Severe alerts” or “Amber alerts“. You cannot disable Presidential Alerts.
If your device uses a very stock version of Android, you might find the setting in the system settings.
- Select the Settings icon on the Home screen.
- Tap More.
- Select Wireless & Networks.
- Choose Cell Broadcast settings.
From there you can uncheck:
- Show extreme threats
- Show severe threats
- Show AMBER alerts
Emergency Alerts App
Many other devices may have a separate Emergency Alerts app.
- Open the “Emergency Alerts” app.
- Select “Menu” > “Settings“.
- Select “Receive alerts“.
- Uncheck the alerts you don’t want to hear.
If you have a weather app, it may be configured to display and sound alerts. Open the app, then access the settings to see if it’s enabled.
Did this post help you find the Emergency Alerts setting on your phone? Did you find it somewhere else? Share your experience in the comments section.